About Me

My photo
I have been stitching since the late 80's I used to knit till it went out of fashion in the 80's,I enjoy many forms of stitching hardanger,blackwork, any counted stitches, cross-stitch, Quilting,stumpwork,beading and of course my first passion which was knitting.I love the colour purple, I like to stitch samplers I love alphabets, will design my own for special occasions.I like following designer lizzie kate, brent creek,prarie schooler, shepherds bush, little house needlework, Country Cottage Needle work and many more.

Wednesday 2 September 2015

Have you seen the Cats?

We go to York a lot shopping has anyone ever noticed the Cats?


All over the town center you will see cats on buildings.


There are 21 cats on buildings in York. The majority of the surviving examples date from the Victorian era, originally the statues go back too Medieval times and were put up to keep rats away, the black rat once numerous in England (before the Brown Rat muscled in) was a noted climber and would live in house lofts. The Cat statue was also ment to bring luck to the occupants. The Victorians carried on this tradition as a decorative feature. ( Cat pictures from Hubby)


You also find a lot of street performers in York.








3 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Wow! I love these cats! How cool are they? Thanks for sharing.

D1-D2 said...

The cats are so cute!

Justine said...

I love York! My best friend lived there for a few years and I visited often. Never noticed these fun cats though - thanks for sharing your photos.