About Me

My photo
I have been stitching since the late 80's I used to knit till it went out of fashion in the 80's,I enjoy many forms of stitching hardanger,blackwork, any counted stitches, cross-stitch, Quilting,stumpwork,beading and of course my first passion which was knitting.I love the colour purple, I like to stitch samplers I love alphabets, will design my own for special occasions.I like following designer lizzie kate, brent creek,prarie schooler, shepherds bush, little house needlework, Country Cottage Needle work and many more.

Tuesday 21 October 2014

Roman York class 3

This week was all about funeral rites and cemeteries in Roman York. 
When the Romans first came they where into cremation quite often the ashes where put in previously used pots  could be cookery pots with no inscription so unknown.  Then within a couple of centuries they started to bury people call inhumation this was due to the rise of Christianity. This is when we started to see more memorials which where painted so they stood out, the pain fragments can still be seen on them today.
Sarcophagus where seen in high status burials, the bodies were in a lead lined coffin placed into the stone sarcophagus covered in gypsum, which goes solid like plaster so it has over time preserved an impression of the body as the bones have gone because the gypsum is alkaline so the bones dissolve it has also kept impressions of the clothes
A lot of information has been found out from the bones, age, any injures, sex, social status from grave goods and any memorials, religious practices regarding buried rights and many other things not listed here.
At the end of class out came the artifacts he bought some bones but I didn't photograph them then came some grave goods.


Coffin hinge


Amber bead from necklace/bracelet


Pipe Clay Venus Central Gaul(France) good luck trinket


Green bottle original glass ? Egypt/Germany ? Perfume/oils

1 comment:

RedSetter said...

This class is getting more interesting with all the info you are picking up. Hope hubby is doing well too.